06 October 2008

Rendezvous

Crow hopped sideways on the bare branch, a cold wind ruffling his feathers. One eye staring at the dark road, he waited for the Queen to approach. She was late, later than usual and the urgency of their secret meeting made Crow impatient.

Thus far, the hawks had no idea. Crow had been able to lull them into a false sense of being by conforming to the long standard of their bullying ways and encouraging the idea that they still held sway over the crows. The mice, however, knew something, he was sure. They had been tunneling at a more frantic pace, working into the night and rarely coming above ground for food. Soon the hawks would discover his plot and he would fail before beginning. He must make the Queen see, convince her that his plan to manipulate the hawks by gaining control of the mice would work. Tonight he and the Queen needed to come to an agreement and take action before the mice understood what was in store for them.

At last, driven by a chariot of four tabby hunters, the Queen arrived. Tawny fur gleaming, she was obviously well pleased with her appearance and not at all apologetic for her tardiness. Serenely exiting her chariot, the Queen turned a lantern-like gaze up at Crow and beckoned him to her side on the road.

“What is it you seek from us, Crow?” She growled.

Puffing his chest out, he replied, “Begging your pardon madam, it isn’t what I seek but what I have to give.”

“Is that so? You have ever been impertinent, worm-eater. Go on.”

“Indeed I eat worms, your ladyship but I have a stake in other prey as well. And, if I might be so bold, I believe you share the worm-eater’s interest.”

As he waited for her response, head cocked to one side, Crow couldn’t help a nervous little hop. Clearly, this was not to be an exchange of equals. Though he felt a plummet in his confidence, his suit was not yet lost.

Slowly, without seeming to move, the Queen inclined her head in silent encouragement. With renewed vigor he went on.

“I’m convinced the mice are aware madam, and soon so will the hawks be. The other ‘worm- eaters,’ as you call us, and I are willing to do our part. As we have demonstrated, we are not without skills. We hold the secrets of the sky in our wings. We can harness the moon with clouds; it will create a cloak for your children to act. We have many talents; we are able and clever.”

“Clever is as clever does, Crow,” she purred. “Are the mice so priceless? Why should my children go to all this trouble for control of the mice, sir? We are great hunters and therefore have no real need.”

“Ah yes, you are hunters, My Lady, but have you thought again on the use of the mice for your colonies? You needn’t allow your workers to leave and…hunt had you control of the mice.”

A low growling hiss emanated from the Queen. “What do you know of Our colonies?”

Crow didn’t lose his courage, instead flashed one dark eye in her direction. “Very little, Madam, very little indeed. I know only enough to think having a steady supply of fuel would be to your advantage. The frogs have been whispering as they run from the hawks. They speak of the hawk’s anger at losing their supply of morsels and of much cat activity in the vale. It is none of our never mind, Madam. ” He spread his wings as if in a shrug. “ The worm eaters care not what the felines do, we only thought perhaps we could find mutual advantage.”

The Queen sat still as a statue, and Crow knew he had caught her attention; the wind was changing in his favor. Success was near and Crow almost wept with relief. The plan would work!

“Crow, you say it would be to both our benefit to gain control of the mice and voles. What I cannot puzzle out is of what value this is to you. Yet I believe there must be something; I have never known a generous worm eater.” She fixed a steady feral stare on him as she paused, her tail twitching slightly. Crow ignored the snub, it mattered little this near triumph. He held as still as possible as he waited for the Queen to make up her mind but small ticks and quivers escaped. After a moment, The Queen’s body released the focused attention it had possessed and she went slightly soft as a tiny smile played about her whiskers. A purring chuckle rolled from her chest and Crow knew she wouldn’t pounce on him.

“I see, Crow. My, but you are clever! By brokering a deal with Us, you will have control of the hawks, now that most of the frogs and their ilk have fled they will have nothing left to eat and must turn to the crows for their supper. Ha! Most ingenious. You are fortunate that I find it amusing to see a hawk bow and scrape to a crow.”

Licking her lips, she turned once more to the chariot and signaled to her hunter children to make ready their departure.

“Let it be so, worm eater. On the night of the next new moon, we will strike; your flock by air, my children by land; a fine joke for the felines!”

No comments:

Post a Comment